Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Crawl, Before You Walk!




Neurons that fire together, wire together!


It is never too late to start building new neuronal pathways. Studies show that children who go straight to walking and skip the crawling step are at high risk for problems in their teenage years. There was actually a study linking them to a high incidence of juvenile delinquency! This is because crawling creates cross crawl patternization and increasing the fibers between the two hemispheres of the brain. Women naturally have a larger  Corpus Callosum than men,  (the white fibers between the two hemispheres) and this is linked to better communication skills and what many people refer to as “multi tasking”.


Personally, I have realized that I must work on this patternization again and that I have lost a lot of balance. Decreasing visual cues is a leading factor so things like riding a  stationary bike where the arms and legs move, yoga, and bear crawls are helping to recreate these pathways. It is crazy how difficult some of these “natural” movements have been. I have to think about them and then I can do them but I have definitely lost part of my arm swing when walking and a lot of balance over the years!


Today, Dr. Jacob and I, started with a new personal trainer, T.J. Fortuna from Fortuna Fitness in Goleta. He is a great guy and uses a primal / four doctors approach.  I already feel sore after the workout today, but it is great!  I am so determined to make new pathways in my brain because I know as a chiropractor I have an optimally functioning nervous system! I get my spine and nervous system checked sometimes a few times per week, depending on the week and what I am doing, and adjusted when necessary. I know that my body has an amazing self-healing and self-regulating ability and I can always heal from  the inside-out.  I also realize that daily work on these pathways will allow the neurons to eventually hook-up creating permanent pathways in my brain allowing for greater balance and movement.  I am supporting them through the highest quality Omega3 fatty acids and even more so through avoiding toxins to my nervous system like synthetic sweeteners.  Health is a process, that is dynamic just like the body. I invite you to go on this journey with me so that together we raise the vibration of the planet through optimal health and wellness!

In Love and Light,
Dr. Elizabeth

  

No comments:

Post a Comment