Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Growing Purpose




Dreams I was never fully aware I had, are coming true! As a child both of my parents were Special Education teachers, in fact this is how they met, with a couple of Masters degrees each. My Father, was a college professor and school administrator and my mom focused on Emotionally Impaired students. My Mother had me volunteer with her students after school for CCD classes at our parish and at Summer academy. She even designed a “Celebrate Diversity” week for our school district and had all students participate in making things like wheelchair art so that they would have a better understanding of their peers.

All of these experiences in my childhood did not fully prepare me for losing my sight, however they did make me more sensitive and understanding to the needs of others which directly impacts how I am as a doctor. My passion for writing landed me an article in the chiropractic periodical, ‘Spizz Magazine’ a couple of months ago and a huge opportunity emerged! I am now consulting for a chiropractic college because they have two Visually Impaired students beginning school in the near future.  They have invited me to faculty events this weekend and in September and upon reading their e-mail a bit ago my throat had a huge lump form and I felt my mother’s love in my heart space. I feel connected to her spirit in a new way, like I am carrying out her work that she loved so dearly.  I never imagined a purpose this big, where I could use all my skills and passions for the purpose of serving humanity.  I feel so emotional, so joyful, and grateful to my parents for their service to all the students over the decades. I miss  my Mother but know that she is proud and I look forward to making an impact in this world! I am extremely grateful for this opportunity to give backend help other VI students have an amazing experience during chiropractic school so that they can in return serve humanity as a Doctor of Chiropractic!

In Love and Light,
Dr. Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment