Monday, January 21, 2013

An Inside-out Approach to Dealing with Challenges




An Inside-outApproach to Dealing with Challenges
By Elizabeth m. Wisniewski, DC

Recently, I went to the ballet and I was able to truly enjoy it. I am setting aside being upset when I go to things that are super visual and learning to embrace them in a different way. Listening to the music and feeling the energy was amazing! The dancer’s emotions poured out  through their  bodies and out into the audience. This is a sign of a true artist; being able to convey your emotions in a non verbal way so much so that someone in the front row who cannot see can enjoy the performance.



I refuse to give up the things I love, the arts being one. I spent a lot of time painting, knitting, cross stitching, drawing and sewing growing up. I would like to pick up knitting again and take poetry writing classes. I am realizing more and more how much I love writing! Writing allows me to express myself in the most creative way possible and it does not require sight. It is another way that I am role modeling how to take a challenge and make it an asset.



Each day I am learning to be more mindful and this is quite a practice! I believe it is fine to be upset about something as long as it does not totally ruin your entire day, week, month , year or life! Allow those emotions to flow through you and feel what it is like to experience them. Is your heart rate increasing? Is your face flushed? Can you smile? What is the rest of your body doing when you are experiencing different emotions? Start paying attention to these feelings, honor them and then continue on in your day. If you need to cry, then cry. Cleanse your soul with your tears, this is an inside-out way of expressing emotions. Do not fall victim to the idea that you must suppress your genuine emotions through pills.  Numbing your feelings will only allow you to be mediocre, at best. If you want to live the life you have imagined, you have to live it from the inside-out. Connect with your breath, speak your truth, be authentic to others, and love everyone around you. Even when they make you upset, go inside yourself to work through the emotions and then just love them more. Learn to appreciate them in a new way and you will fall deeper in love with this beautiful world.



There is no reason to give up the things you love when you are experiencing a challenge. Instead of hiding behind excuses and numbing yourself with drugs you must center yourself and live from the inside-out. Only then will your challenges organically appear as hidden treasures and you will be honoring your innate intelligence.


      

No comments:

Post a Comment