Friday, January 18, 2013

Letter To My Mother


Dear Mommy,

First of all, I miss you SO much! I think of you each day and feel the warmth of your love surround me. I miss you most around holidays or special days, like your birthday coming up next week. You would be 58 years old.



I used to be really angry that you were taken away from me when I was only 14. I am now 28 and have lived half my life without you. I am realizing more and more that you were setting me up for success until the day you took your last breath.



I am so grateful for you staying up until 2am with me doing geometry homework on peg boards with rubber bands. I could not open my eyes because of the trauma from back to back emergency eye surgeries and you pushed me to maintain that 4.0 GPA whether or not I could open my eyes and see my homework or not. You made me so mad because you pushed me so hard at times but now I have nothing but respect for you. Every time we were in the car you made me say “7s to 70” or perform mental math problems… a far cry from playing “the license plate game” on road trips but you had high expectations of me. My daily job list was intense with positive attitude at the bottom. Mom, that has been my biggest struggle. You were amazing, always positive even when the allopathic care was killing you. I have to keep the words “positive attitude” constantly in my mind otherwise I fall off track so easily. It is a practice for me and I strive to have your grace each day. I have never met anyone else like you, your honesty was brutal at times but pure. Your outlook on life was super bright and everyone was drawn to you and your energy.



I am so grateful for the heart of service you and dad instilled in me. Volunteering at church functions as an assistant to special end children and teaching Sunday school are just a few examples. Watching you create wonderful events with your special education classes like ‘celebrate diversity’ where all the children, regular ed included, used wheelchairs and other assistive devices to create beautiful art work… it is so inspirational. You did not know that you would have a child who would lose their sight but your experience prepared you to give me the confidence to continue on and be successful no matter what.



I am finally forgiving you for being so hard on me and taking each one of those experiences into something positive. So many people with challenges are held back but I am now a Doctor of Chiropractic and I am so proud of myself. I am grateful to have watched both you and dad give everything you had to your careers. It is so inspirational to me, looking back, at the sacrifices you made and the impact you made on the community. You truly served the families of the special education children you taught and everyone still remembers that about you.


You would be so proud of the super OCD calendar I am putting together for my practice. I am writing all of the monthly articles a year in advance, all the scripts, and action steps which are community service programs. When you left your Earthly body  you gave to me your passion and drive to serve, I love you so much for that. Thank you for picking the best dad in the world to raise me and stand by me. He promised you as you took your last breath that he would take care of your girls, and mom he has fulfilled that promise to you.He told me that even though you were in a coma you had a single tear fall from your left eye as he held your hand, telling you that he would make sure we were okay. I know you heard him, believed him and left us in his hands.



I miss you so much and know that we are connected through universal intelligence. Your spirit is beautiful and alive inside of me and I just want you to know how much I love you.



Love,
Bethy

ADIO Love,
Dr. Elizabeth M. Wisniewski
Doctor of Chiropractic

No comments:

Post a Comment