Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Lifestyle Care - Lifetime Activities



Lifestyle Care – Lifetime Activities
Growing up in Michigan I obviously experienced all 4 seasons. With each season there were different sports and activities both indoors and out. We had these highly organized bins in the garage filled with basketballs, hula hoops, roller blades, baseballs, rackets, and jump ropes. There were bikes and fishing poles. In the downstairs storage room we had skies, ice skates, and snow pants. There was always something to do!
My parents were both athletic, they played in golf leagues and every Sunday morning played racket ball. Prior to starting a family they played things like football, wrestling, and softball. But after reaching their early 30s really transitioned into lifetime activities.
My father had dislocated his shoulders multiple times on each side and had destroyed his ankles. He did not want us to suffer similar injuries so my parents put us into lifetime sports. My sister and I all swam competitively, I took golf lessons, and rowed on the crew team.
My mother formed a walking group and would walk 5 -8 miles each night with our Labradors. It was great exercise and gave her a chance to unwind and socialize while getting fresh air. She found tremendous value in this activity and in eh Summer at our cottage our entire family would walk or ride our bikes around them. It was great bonding and we were always moving.
Now that I am going to be turning 30, I see the wisdom more and more in my parent’s decisions. Lifetime activity makes the most sense. This is part of the reason I am falling more and more in love with yoga! Also having personal trainers that work with me, help me reach my personal goals, and know my limitations due to my eye sight.
I got to thinking about this today after reading an article on NPR about Division I athletes being disables and / or depressed in middle age. These were athletes on a high level and had access to anything and everything regarding their health while competing. The problems seems to be that they are not prepared for the future. Around half of them stop working out because they feel like if they are not competing on a high level then it is not worth it. A vicious cycle begins in which they stop working on and they get depressed. The depression worsens and they fall further and further. This leads to them being overweight and inflamed. Inflammation can cause many disease states and the body is no longer functioning the way it was meant to.
Drawing on my own parents’ wisdom I propose lifetime activities like yoga, walking, biking, rowing, golf, and swimming. You can still p              lay in leagues and have that competition while getting great regular exercise. One of the best things you can do for your body in order to stay active is to have your spine and nervous system checked regularly. If you want to keep functioning to 80, 90, 100 and beyond you MUST have a properly working nervous system. To learn more visit http://www.genuinechiro.com we have many articles on athletes and chiropractic available. From weekend warriors to NFL players athletes find tremendous value in regular chiropractic adjustments. Whether you are coming in with an injury/ crisis or out are looking for that last 2% that means coming in first place instead of second, chiropractic will benefit you throughout your lifetime. Find activites you are passionate about and can perform / participate in for the rest of your life. Life is motion, so get going!

To make an appointment with Dr. Elizabeth Wisniewski call 805-285-2712 and visit www.genuinechiro.com for more information. Dr. Elizabeth will meet you where you are at and partner with you so that you may express your full potential!  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment