Monday, March 17, 2014

My Truth About Losing Sight


 
I live and love in a world of extremes. Stranger’s fighter think I am either mentally disabled or a magical, intuitive unicorn simply because I am a doctor that cannot see. Both assumptions tug on my heart strings and create unfair expectations.  I think and attract in black and white but live mostly in blackness while dreaming in vibrant color. The extremes sometimes create a beautiful sort of torture for my soul while cultivating strength.
My childhood was spent at the doctor’s office and in the hospital. The rare eye disease I was diagnosed with led to 30 surgeries and very little sight. My heart space often felt hopeless but my intense determination pushed me through undergrad, graduate school, and opening my own practice in Santa Barbara. Through all of these experiences I am just learning that instead of searching for a cure of my eye disease it is more important to find and own my voice. I usually can find it, trapped between my heart and throat shokra, screaming to get out but afraid to leave my body.
Now that I am on the eve of turning 30, I am finding my voice and understanding its tender power. My challenge has been losing my sight but my asset is communication. Communication through my hands as I check and adjust patients. Communication through the written and spoken word.  I know with every cell in my body that I would not be a chiropractor if I had not lost my sight. Losing my sight gave me a bigger vision from myself and the world.
I invite others to step into their heart space. Maybe this is through yoga, meditation, art, whatever allows them to get in touch with the most authentic part of themselves. Since I no longer can see faces or read body language, I take in all my information vibration ally through my heart space. Because of this I am extreme. I love extremely hard and when I am hurting it is an intense experience. This may seem like living in a bubble but the heart sends out frequencies much stronger than the brain. Tapping into the power of the heart is critical for finding your authentic self, your voice, and your vision.  The most beautiful thing I have learned through being blind is that eyes are not necessary for vision; the heart can light up the world and guide you. 

ADIO Love,
Dr. Elizabeth Wisniewski
www.genuinechiro.com
 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing so beautifully. "The heart sends out frequencies much stronger than the brain" ~ this explains so many things past and present in my life. I'm grateful for your friendship and all that you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr Elizabeth,
    'This may seem like living in a bubble'...???
    Not at all!
    Quite the opposite!
    Thank you for this real inspiration to us all.

    ReplyDelete